My kingdom for a ...BLANKET!!

Posted by Jona8than | Labels: , , , , | Posted On Sunday, December 7, 2008 at 10:41 p.m.

I just proofed a new plate, it has an aquatint on it along with hard ground and soft ground etching. Warmed it up [very cold here], inked up swell, blotted the paper well, and printed it. And the cursed, trice cursed blanket either has a depression in it or water from someone printing earlier. And so there is a large white spot on my print. I could see a ton of ink still on the plate. Just this big blot on the paper, where there was no contact.

I hate that.

The sides printed beautifully, those areas were rich in blacks and my soft ground came out. Not totally noticeable due to an aquatint being overlaid; it gave a detail that otherwise wouldn't be there.

A former professor told me I could get some good ones, from England, and if I just used them for myself, they'd last for 25+ years. Would only be 600 dollars or such. So...

Maybe I have to move to the bigger press. Another artist is editioning this week anyway, so the small press will be pretty much booked.

It's a bigger plate, 18" x 12 1/2", so on smaller plates and non aquatint plates, the blot wouldn't come out.
I still have a litho stone waiting for a drawing as well. Haven't drawn on or printed a stone in a while. Maybe do some sketching tonight for an idea.

Groceries are needed as well.

Comments:

There are 2 comments for My kingdom for a ...BLANKET!!