Wet blankets

Posted by Jona8than | | Posted On Monday, November 17, 2008 at 7:20 p.m.

I entered the St. John's Art Procurement Program today, a program where the city of St. John's procures art for its collections. I am as well entering the Member's Show at Eastern Edge Gallery, which is a showcasing of art by the members of Eastern Edge Gallery. Both are good opportunities. Though need to focus on more, focus on going after more things.

I figured on this posting, I would try to write about my art a bit more. I need to be able to write about it -for artist's statement and proposals - so figured I ould start here. Should of started months ago, but alas. Some people term it "bullshiting" and perhaps there is an element of that about it as well. I always wonder when people say "Oh, I bullshited" my way out of that one in terms of critiques, I wonder who did they bullshit? The other people in believing them, or themselves? It's hard to be honest with one's self, hard to be honest with your art. You're putting yourself out there at times as it is with art, never mind writing about it.

My art. What am I doing? Maybe a point would be to state what I have ben reading the past few months, as it hasn't been a lot. I've read
Ernest Becker's Denial of Death,
Pierre Berton's Arctic Grail
Larry River's Digressions and Drawings
Francis Latreille
White Paradise: Jurneys to the North Pole
Fergus Fleming Ninety Degrees North: The Quest for the North Pole
Zizek and Glen Daly Conversations with Zizek
Alain de Botton In Love

Not totally sure what they reveal about my art, but they are undercurrents to it. I would say they definitly influence it. The subject matter deals with the exploits of arctic explorers - in particular Robert E. Peary. However, it isn't a homage. I want to cite Tony Scherman, a painter who did a series of works called "1862" about the civil war in the United States. It was an area of exploratio for him, a starting point for some paintings. I way, Arctic explorrs were a starting point for me as well. The imagery of their exploits became symbols for me to manlipuate for my own purposes.

What are my own purposes?
Really no in the mood to answer that right now. Tired and hungry

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Wet blankets