Interesting Wednesday

Posted by Jona8than | Labels: , , | Posted On Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 1:19 p.m.

It was dark as pitch this morning, which really just throws my day off. I don't like waking up in the dark, for to me, it means go back to bed. Still very grey out, reconsidering ever going to the Great North with 20 hour darkness, might just ruin me. Haha.

Had a studio visit with Pao Quang Yeh today, he is a officer with the Canadian Council of the Arts as well as being a practicing artist. We only had 15 minutes really, for more people wanted a studio visit with him than the previous artists.

Pao is a pretty insightful artist, he asked some hard and penetrating questions to me about my artwork, and in doing so, revealed that I might not have the actual reasoning for why I'm doing the stuff I am doing figured out yet. Which, I'll be honest, I don't; nor did I feel prepared today for some reason for some of those questions. Lack of alertness really, really ought to sleep better.

Those are not excuses or defenses against some of what he asked me. One thing he focused on, was the idea that I was not speaking with my own voice. That I was not sure of some of my reasoning, and that I was doing things that conflicted with my intentions. I should be honest with who I am, and where I am from, should not be apologetic with anything. Going to talk the talk, got to walk the walk. He cut under my personality to something a little inner, caught me off guard. Be damned if that happens again.
My skulls drawings were a sort of contention, in that he was not getting the intentions of what I wanted the skulls to be in the artwork; which goes back to my unsureness of the intentions of course. The mark making could be improved however, and there was advice to approach them as portraits not just renderings.

He didn't feel my painting, the current one in progress was working either. In that I didn't seem committed to it yet, even in the under painting. I am unsure of what he meant by that, and I neglected to ask more about that. I do have to get in to a bit more, if thats what he meant. Just got to bust in to it. He asked about combining my painting and drawing together. Said look at Ed Pien's work. I will say one thing, shouldn't mention artists you admire right off in a meeting. haha.

He liked my smaller drawings a bit more, the ones I do very quickly. They're small little sketches on some BFK paper, done with markers and pen work. They are nice, but I saw them as something more preparatory to my art. I had planned to do one, a small sketch of a rocket, as a bigger drawing. About 7ft by 4ft. He recommended doing more of them, in the small size, but many of them, hundreds and install them together;to think about what that would say. Interesting proposition, and one I have considered before. It just doesn't excite me the same way a large drawing does.

Was an interesting conversation, something to think about. Especially on how I communicate, in short time periods for instances and of course my art making. Does kind of lights a fire though

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Interesting Wednesday