Problems

Posted by Jona8than | Labels: , , , , | Posted On Sunday, October 10, 2010 at 2:42 a.m.

Or maybe a conflict of interest perhaps. Or an unwilling or impossibility to dedicate enough time to either.

I like to build things out of wood. Woodworking. Building chests and eventually maybe furniture -desks, tables, etc. [For some reason I have no desire to make chairs, not a bit. ] Maybe if I could- boat building, I would love to build a boat. I've been following another artist's blog and been watching her build one. She even came to Newfoundland. I'd do it differently, but envious that she is doing it none the same. I love the form, the lines, the craftsmanship, the material, all of it.

I also want to learn how to tailor clothes. Not that I don't necessarily want to go to a tailor - I love people who study and are experts in their craft- but the cost can be prohibitive to my low income. It would be somewhere to save a few dollars if I did my own. Also having the exact control over how what I wear fits. My Mom can hem up my pants if I ask, but when it comes to sleeve length, sleeve widths, bring in the sides, it is a different story. I've learnt how to hem up my pants from her but how do I learn the other stuff besides the youtube videos...apprentice, take lessons? I don' need to know how to construct a full suit for myself [as cool as that would be] but to be able to fine tune a suit I find or buy would be swell.

But of course this all goes back in to the fact that I am working as or trying to be professional artist. I am a drawer and printmaker as well as a beginning sculptor. trying to execute great art is a priority. And while both of the above skill sets could factor into my art easily, there is no reason they will.
I have already been doing some woodworking and devoting my time to it. I focus on it, with no intention of it being art as of yet. And to be honest, I do think it interferes in to my art. I don't think about my art as much.
I am conflicted between two trains of thought. One is - to be a mater you can be nothing else, only what you focus on. You can't be a painter/carpenter/dj/writer/etc. and good at it all really.
The other train is from a Myaoto Mushashi Book of Five Rings where he talks about being a master of one thing can allow you to become a master of whatever you focus on.

Can or will I take enough time to really focus on the woodworking and craft great pieces? Make that dory. And if so will I still find time to learn how to make the perfect swing stitch when adjusting my cuffs or making a dart for my shirts? Along with making some beautiful drawings and drypoints?

I know I have the rest of my life ahead of me to learn. But so conflicted, I want to know all. Be more independent. I'm not oen for doing some half assed, there is enough of that already in the world.

Comments:

There are 3 comments for Problems