Arts and Letters Awards

Posted by Jona8than | Labels: , , , , | Posted On Monday, October 11, 2010 at 2:42 a.m.

The Newfoundland and Labrador Arts and Letters Awards” is too long of a title as well as being cumbersome with conjunctions. The deadline of November 26, 2010 is also a lot sooner than previous year's of January. About six weeks away. Shit.

It's funny, I haven't entered it since I went to art school. A visual arts awards and I stop entering when I finally start learning about art. To my defence, I also was broke. Haven't been able to afford the framing requirements in many years. Still not sure if I can this year, but going to enter either way. They also have a requirement it be original and made this year as well as not being shown anywhere. Gallery, exhibition, not even facebook or blog. Can't post it anywhere till after 26th deadline.

Details are here for the Newfoundland residents. Some good prizes in the senior division – 15 awards of $1000 dollars. That's a grand, a g-note, I could make it rain for a bit with that. Least drizzle.

I just feel this year I should. I feel I have a good chance at it. I am making good, solid work. At the least formally. Conceptually I'm O.K. Can expand that as time goes by. I just feel confident in what I am making right now. I know you can never tell what the jury will pick, but I have no chance if I don't enter.

I have an image I want to do. A slight departure from the Arctic landscape, no far, it's of a ship in ice entering a city street. Maybe some water flowing up the street. The street scene was shot in Montreal, near the Old Port area, the buildings being beautiful and brick. Very shadowy. Great lines. I can show the city reference. I think.




Great photo. My wonderful lady shot it. It's nice on its own. I think that I can make it great with my alterations. I believe the movie Inception might have influenced me a little bit on it as well, the architecture has that feel along with having a big friggin ship pushing through.

Debating whether I want to do the image in a drypoint or etching/aquatint print. Would be a full plate print 24” x 18” approx.

I like the idea of drypoint. All the line work, the drawings straight on the plate, the richness, the labour even. If I do right it's great. The other side is drypoint is fickle, even in it's wiping never mind making your lines right. It does get major props from those in the know.

An image like this size and subject is still a lot of work in etching as well. I can still do the line work, even do some drypoint in the shadows. It would still turn out to be great but I wonder if as good as the drypoint. But I have been looking at a drypoint master Mikael Kihlman.I think deep down I would like to do it in drypoint but my head says it's more practical for the etching.

Hoping to start soon. Like to get it done as quick as possible, though I do still have some editioning coming up. I hate editioning at times- maybe all the time. I like printing. It must be the idea of having to print so many that gets me. Expanded my editions up to twenty this year due to advice from colleagues. Why did I do that?

Listening to Big Boi's new album, Sir Luscious Leftfoot. Very good.

Comments:

There are 1 comments for Arts and Letters Awards