Print proposal/ slash get things on web for convience

Posted by Jona8than | Labels: , , | Posted On Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 6:41 p.m.

Just trying to get some stuff online, instead of on different computers and on jump drives. Co-ordination and synchronization are differcult at time.
This is myprint proposal for the St.Michael's Scholarship


Print Proposal

My print proposal consists of a series of ten prints done in lithography and intaglio media. Six prints of this series will be of an intimate scale, using the smaller stones and smaller intaglio plates. The rest of the prints will be large scale, through using prints off the smaller stones and combining them as parts to make one large size. The other large scale prints will be engaging St. Michael's larger stones along with large intaglio print done by utilizing aluminum etching. The support will be paper and canvas. The interest in the larger prints is because of the impact that scale can have, and will contrast against the intimacy of the smaller prints. Lithography and intaglio are chosen because of their mark making abilities, and their proximity to drawing for me.


The prints will be continuing the exploration of the rocket as an image to communicate ideas of mortality, violence and exploration. The rocket images will be based in landscape, that make use of dystopian and apocalyptic elements, modernist symbols of progress, pop culture, television, comic books and graphic novels, the figure relation in space. My work is informed by artists such as Ed Pien, William Kentridge, Marcel Dzama, and Toba Khedoori, along with a background of science fiction authors and their book covers, as well as graphic novels and comic books. This subject has started in this year of my studies through drawings on paper, as well as some studies in print and I would like to continue them in print.

I, as a previous intern only this summer at the shop know the value of St. Michael’s. The co-op program between Sir Wilfred Grenfell College and St. Michaels’s has already provided great benefit to me through learning the maintenance and running of a print shop, creation of art, and through interacting with the visiting artists. The Don Wright Scholarship would be another great asset to me, as it would enable me to transition from a student to a professional practice by enabling me to pursue art after college. It will give me a chance to hone my technical skills, develop ideas, to create a body of work, to learn from the visiting artists, and networking opportunities. Mike Connolly and John McDonald even taught me how to do my first lithograph, which I am currently studying in school and showing little tips I learned from them. To receive the Don Wright Scholarship would be a great benefit to me as listed above, and I would love to work at the shop again.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Print proposal/ slash get things on web for convience