Artist Statement

Posted by Jona8than | | Posted On Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 2:19 p.m.

Jonathan Green
Artist Statement

My work deals with the ideas of death and loss, through the use of objects, space, and narrative. I use objects that have contain small memories and history to them, and by placing them in created and often neutral spaces, to convey the larger ideas of mortality and loss. I use the medium of drawing, for it can show the sensitively and vulnerabilities of being human. It is like a slow motion version of thought, for the process of drawing can be imprecise, and uncertain. Drawing captures this by the power of it being an unmediated impression of the artists hand and mark on the surface.

My research is very intuitive and habitual, a part of my daily routine. My research is engaged in areas of art, philosophy, gender issues, sexuality, sociology, literature and an increased interest in thanatology. Death and loss factor in my research in ideas dealing with how mortality and death are dealt with in western cultures, as in issues of confronting and overcoming. Ideas on desire and death have also become an idea of note as of late, the idea that death and desire are linked.

My current artwork has contemporary relevance in the art of Luc Tuymans, Toba Khedoori, Marcel van Eden and Michael Borremans. My art is also influenced by Nietzschean and existentialist philosophy, and many literary influences in works of fiction and poetry such as: Auster, Bukowski, Herbert, Gaiman, and Urquhart.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Artist Statement