I've been running on a no-tomorrow road at great speed

Posted by Jona8than | Labels: , , , | Posted On Sunday, August 16, 2009 at 1:17 a.m.

Kunst. My kunst. What am I hoping to do with my big dirty kunst? That is a question I keep asking myself. It has been three months of thinking, pondering, daydreaming about where I would push a new project to. Some call it waiting for inspiration, I think I was more in the research mode myself. But who's to say?

I still veer towards the arctic imagery, but been trying to add to it or change it more. I tried bringing the mountains in to the work, as a sense of place is part of my work. They just don't click to me, I can attach no personal connection to them.

I've been interested in the Polaris Expedition, specifically where some of the crew get stranded on an ice floe for six months, drifting in the Arctic. I don't want to illustrate this, like scene for scene, that is too easy and it has already been done. So what do I extrapolate from this narrative story? There is this sense of adventure, desperation, survival, violence, schism, isolation, etc. All these things engage me. There is the idea of history painting, but that always has a basis in the real world - a current issue. I think that falls short for me as well.

I'm drifting like the people on the ice floe here. That feels like the best connection from me to them right there.

O.K. Lets get down to the nitty gritty there, maybe it can lead to better understanding of what I want to do idea wise. Physically I want to do a series of works of prints and drawings - small and large scale, and sculpture work.

This is going nowhere. Garbage

Comments:

There are 0 comments for I've been running on a no-tomorrow road at great speed