Pressing matters

Posted by Jona8than | Labels: , , , | Posted On Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 2:26 a.m.



I have recently acquired an etching press. So recent that it's not even on my property yet. But will be very soon, through some combination of rigging, three young men power, and a possible me pushing a press down the main street in my town.

It came to me through the great Michael of St. Michael's Printshop, whom forwarded me an email from a woman looking to unload a press. She wanted it out of a building she was selling and wanted to see if they wanted it, if not then the scrap yard with it. So fee taking.The amazing part of it is that is in my hometown, where I am currently splitting my time between.

It is even more to my amazement that only a two months ago I had heard that a friend of mine had recently received a free for taking press with other paraphernalia. My GF C had said “Maybe one day I would get a free press” to which I had my doubts.

Yet now I have a press. From some research and a quick email to Perry Tymeson, press engineer and of Suitcase Press, turns out to be a early model Praga, perhaps pre production. Late 60's early 70's. Established in 1963, Praga was based in Scarborough, Ontario, Canada. Good quality press but the company folded sometime in 2005 or 6. It is about 2ft wide approx. The bed looks to be 18" x 36".

There is some rust on the cylinders, little on the sides and the inside of the big wheel. But it spins smoothly as do the cylinders. The bed is in good condition, some rust on the bottom. Going to take some sanding and polishing to get in ship shape. But besides that I think that is all that needs to be done, a bit of lube here or there, probably a paint job on the wheel and base. Definitive putting some casters on the base for easier transportation.

I have put some thought to customizing it. Paint wise at the max. Maybe a red stand and wheel? That mint green I like so much? Purple? Too pop? Maybe a dark blue, metallic? Thought about spinners like on car wheels, or getting some kind of steering wheel grip for it. Pimp it.

Perhaps there is something wrong with me. It would be fly tho.

Going to be a long term project. Storing it next door in my aunt's garage. Might be a bit cold working on metal in the next few months. I'm excited about it even though I know it will be a while before I can set up my own shop. I got one of the biggest pieces to start with when I do.


Dark green?

Comments:

There are 2 comments for Pressing matters